Mom, mommy, mama,referee, cook, house cleaner, woman, craft goddess, keeper of memories, dreamer, perfectionist, smarty pants, lady of perpetual mood swings.....

Monday, June 13, 2011

THE Dress

I think that for most women, trying on wedding dresses in the hunt for THE Dress is the most exciting part of the entire wedding.

Have I mentioned that I'm not most women?

Growing up, I envisioned this perfect, cookie cutter type wedding. I would have on an enormous gown with glitz and beads everywhere, a huge tiara, and a chapel length veil with a blusher over my face. I'd walk down the aisle behind my flower girl throwing flowers from her ordinary satin basket.

I just puked a little Remove Formatting from selectionI just puked a little more

Add to the fact that I'm self conscious, in the process of losing weight, and really don't like trying on any type of clothing, especially a dress. Plus this isn't any dress, this is the dress.

My sister and I went looking for dresses back in March. I didn't find anything remotely worth mentioning except 3 sweet gals at one of the bridal shops. So when my mom decided it was time to go look, we set out to Spokane to dress shop. I have said over and over that I just want something plain. I don't want anything over the top-just simple and elegant.

We went to a rather large retail chain of bridal store's. I'm not mentioning names but the name David was involved. I was not impressed with the lady that was supposed to be helping me. I found 2 dresses that were ok, but I didn't put it on and say it was the dress.

After that, we went back to the small store where my sister and I had gone before. When I walked in the door, I felt at ease and happy. The ladies there are wonderful! You can be polite and still be fake, but you cannot fake genuine interest. I had felt uncomfortable and unhappy earlier when I was trying on dresses. I had about as much interest as someone trying on their prison stripes for their execution. And that is not what wedding dress shopping is supposed to feel like. It is supposed to be exciting and one of the happiest days of your life.

.

Long story short, I found my dress and there were tears. There was also name calling and an instance of almost vomiting, but it was all in good fun. I am so thankful that I found 3 wonderful ladies to share that day with

I'm looking for something in white
Something that shimmers in soft candlelight
Everyone calls us the most perfect pair
Should I wear a veil or a rose in my hair
Well,the train must be long and the waist must be tight
I'm looking for something in white
-Lorrie Morgan
Something in Red


2 comments:

nichole said...

I am so happy you found your dress! That is stressful, I know, but now you can put that behind you and think about cupcakes!!!!

Emily Suzanne said...

Thank you! I think everything is downhill from here!