Mom, mommy, mama,referee, cook, house cleaner, woman, craft goddess, keeper of memories, dreamer, perfectionist, smarty pants, lady of perpetual mood swings.....

Friday, June 17, 2011

Grandpa

My grandpa was and still is one of the most important people in my life. He was amazing. He and my grandma took care of me when I was lit
tle and
my mom was in school. He was still working at the time, but almost every weekend he would take me to 'town'. We would go to McDonald's and go bowling or play putt-putt golf. Sometimes he'd take me to the movies. And then we'd always finish our trip with a visit to the grocery store or WalMart where a Barbie doll would just happen to make its way into our shopping cart.

Growing up, he continued to take me everywhere. We went on a month long road trip that started in Texas, up to Idaho, over to Crater Lake in Oregon and down to California. Thankfully, my older cousin came with us when we left Idaho because in Tracy, California, he hit his head on the bottom of the pool and had short term memory loss.

My grandpa played the clarinet in a band during World War II. He was the reason that I started playing the clarinet. One of my most prized possessions is his still fully functioning clarinet from WWII. Bill Gates could walk in and offer me billions of dollars for it and I'd never get rid of it.

I remember him having tears in his eyes when I'd play him a song. He would tell me how wonderful I played and that I far surpassed him because he could never make a song sound like that.

He passed on a love for Glen Miller, any Big Band music, and an unexplainable love for the Chicago Cubs. He also taught me what it meant to love and have someone believe in me.

He's been gone for 6 years now and there are days that I feel like he's still here. There are times I want to pick up the phone and call him, but am crushed to realize I can't.

When Noah came home from baseball practice with his Cubs hat and jersey, I was so happy. I wanted to call my grandpa and send him the picture.

I always imagined that he would walk me down the aisle and that I would have my dad and my grandpa on either side of me. I always thought I would have him to dance with at my wedding.

It's times like these that are especially hard. I hope that he looks down on me and is proud of me still. I hope that he sees his great grandchildren and knows how much I love him. I hope he is watching every last one of Noah's baseball games.


I miss you so much grandpa. Happy Fathers Day.




.

No comments: